GLEN ROCK, N.J. -- Bergen County’s newest farmers market is launching this fall in Glen Rock.
The market will be held in the Glen Rock Borough Hall employee parking lot off Rock Road, rain or shine, from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays, Oct. 9, 16, and 23.
The initiative to launch a farmers market in Glen Rock aims to bring healthy, top-quality farm-fresh products to the borough's 11,000 residents.
Starting as a pilot project this season with the intention of launching a permanent farmers market in 2017, the market’s goal is to strengthen the community and support the local sustainable food culture.
As an authentic farmers market where consumers can speak directly with the farmers and makers who have grown or prepared their food, all participating vendors are required to cultivate or source sustainably and responsibly grown local ingredients.
“We hope people come with their reusable shopping bags and picnic gear,” said Laura Occhipinti, who designed the logo and has been in charge of marketing.
“We have great musicians lined up like Glen Rock’s own singer-songwriter Cat Merkle. There will be a variety of prepared foods, fresh breads, cheeses and produce, and there's plenty of space on the Borough Hall lawn for picnicking.”
Vendors already confirmed include:
- Glen Rock’s Mo Green Juice
- Big Red House Soups (Paramus, Ridgewood, Edgewater, Hackensack)
- Marc’s Cheesecakes (Glen Rock)
- The Glen Rock Arboretum
- Rocca, a farm-to-table restaurant in Glen Rock
- Poplar Wood Farm (Port Murray)
- Top of the Mountain
- Our Woods Maple Syrup & Dog Treats
- Corbett’s Kitchen (Warwick, N.Y.)
- Artisan Oven Central Bread Bakery of Hackensack
- Prospect Hill Orchards (Milton, N.Y.)
- The Cotton Cattle Co.
- Bella Mozzarella of Fair Lawn
- Ridgewood’s Goffle Brook Farm
Resident volunteers Alison Bloomfield, Laura Occhipinti, Ren Plastina, Linda Plastina, Elaine Howe, Megan LeBlanc, Jay Shapiro, and Amy Martin with the support of Mayor Bruce Packer and the Boroiugh Council and administrators have contributed to the success of the project.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.