GLEN ROCK, N.J. – A 40-year-old Glen Rock man died of an accidental heroin overdose, authorities said Monday.
The victim’s sister told police on Friday that he’d recently moved in with her parents, who weren’t home, Police Chief Dean Ackermann said Monday.
She said she “became concerned for his welfare and responded to check on him,” then called police after finding his body in the kitchen, the chief said.
Officers found a hypodermic syringe and two empty heroin bags – as well as 20 more bags of the drug and several vials of steroids, he said.
Valley Hospital paramedics who responded made the formal pronouncement in conference with medical staff at Valley’s emergency room, Ackermann said.
The Bergen County Medical Examiner removed the body to make an official determination of death – although the chief said it appears accidental, with no others involved.
ALSO SEE: If you think most heroin users started by choice, you're in for a surprise, speakers at an anti-opioid Town Hall meeting at Bergen Community College in Paramus agreed.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.