FAIR LAWN, N.J. -- A lightning strike during Wednesday night's storm smashed the top of a Fair Lawn chimney, sending bricks flying.
No one was reported injured in the strike on Plaza Road North.
Police cordoned off a section around the side of the house.
"Lighting strikes to chimneys are rare, but they can and will cause major damage -- not only to the structure but to the integrity of the purpose of the chimney," Douglas Lee of American Chimney Service told Daily Voice.
Chimney "vent hazardous and toxic gases from the home," Lee said.
When such damage occurrs, the furnace or boiler and hot water heater must be turned off, he said, noting "there are most likely blockages in the flue."
A CSIA-certified chimney sweep should inspect it, Lee said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.