YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: Firefighters doused a 40-by-60-foot section of roof being replaced at the Garden State Plaza in Paramus that began smoking this afternoon, causing a store evacuation.
Workers initially tried to snuff the smoldering section of mostly rubber materials with garden-style hoses before summoning firefighters around 2:45 p.m., Deputy Police Chief Robert Guidetti told CLIFFVIEW PILOT .
Macy’s and a portion of the mall were evacuated.
The all-clear was given just before 4 p.m. as firefighters cleaned up. The rest of the mall was reopened before then.
Macy’s was expected to reopen later this afternoon.
Oradell sent a ladder truck and Fair Lawn its Rescue Unit, while Lodi, River Edge, Saddle Brook and Washington Township firefighters provided mutual aid.
Four medical rigs were also placed on standby.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.