GLEN ROCK, N.J. — Democratic challenger Bruce Packer defeated incumbent Glen Rock Mayor John van Keuren on Tuesday, according to unofficial results from the Bergen County Board of Elections.
Packer received 1,956 votes to van Keuren's 1,396 .
Walker's Democratic running mates, Kristine R. Morieko and William W. Huisking Jr., were also elected by wide margins. Moreiko had 2,009 votes and Huisking Jr. had 2,069.
Republican Council opponents Joan Orseck (1,237 votes) and Robert V. Bourne (1,227) trailed by considerable margins.
In Fair Lawn, incumbent Republican Mayor John Cosgrove was returned along with two Democratic council members for three spots.
Cosgrove topped the votes among the six candidates with 3,343 -- nearly 21% -- followed by Councilman Kurt Peluso (2,759) and Councilwoman Lisa Swain (2,685), both Democrats.
Out of the running were Marc A. Zharnest (2,546) and John F. Gil IV (2,459), both Republican and Democrat Ellen Taner (2,319).
The council chooses a mayor from its ranks at the January 2016 reorganization meeting. Cosgrove has held the poast the past three years.
In other races:
Fair Lawn Board of Education
- EUGENE M. BANTA: 2,500 votes, 34.89 percent
- MARK SPINDEL: 2,341 votes, 32.67 percent
- JEFFREY D. KLEIN: 2,296 votes, 32.04 percent
Glen Rock Council
REP - JOAN ORSECK: 1,237 votes, 18.91 percent
REP - ROBERT V. BOURNE: 1,227 votes, 18.75 percent
DEM - KRISTINE R. MORIEKO: 2,009 votes, 30.7 percent
DEM - WILLIAM W. HUISKING Jr.: 2,069 votes, 31.62 percent
Glen Rock Board of Education
- ELIZABETH CARR: 1,314 votes, 19.74 percent
- GENE CALDERON: 723 votes, 10.86 percent
- BRYON TORSIELLO: 1,030 votes, 15.47 percent
- THEODORE S. JADICK Jr: 933 votes, 14.01 percent
- BARBARA J. STEUERT: 974 votes, 14.63 percent
- SHARON SCARPELLI: 1,673 votes, 25.13 percent
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.